Wednesday, September 26, 2012

*September 26

JOURNAL TOPIC: [today's tunes: "Walking Man" by James Taylor; "My Way" by Frank Sinatra; "Hazy Shade of Winter" by Simon & Garfunkel]

Listen to the lyrics of today's tunes. Write down examples of figurative language and imagery. When you get 3-5 for each song, explain how these ideas and ways of expressing them give you a sense of what the song is about.

AGENDA:
1. Journal/discuss
2. YGB prompt & essay writing strategies
3. Hopeless Romanticism


HW:
1. Read Poe's "Dream Within A Dream" (after the break) and post a one-paragraph reaction/reflection to your blog.



A Dream Within A Dream

by Edgar Allan Poe

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow-
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment