Sunday, October 7, 2012

welcome to the open press

In August we began a discussion about writing books for National Novel Writing Month, which goes from November 1-30.

If you do a quick search on the "history of book publishing" you will quickly discover that, as the online Encyclopedia Britannica puts it, "The history of publishing is characterized by a close interplay of technological innovation and social change, each promoting the other."

Publishing used to be something only people with printing presses and/or lots of money could do.  Now any of us can walk into a public library, start a blog, and find an audience.

So... *POOF!*

We're now a publishing house.

Some of you are interested in writing a book.  That is a bold endeavor and it's not something that an individual does alone.  There are many aspects to writing, and even more needs to be done to create a finished book.  Every author needs support in the form of editing, page layout, graphic design, etc.

Please comment to this post with an idea of what you do well and how you'd like to participate.  If you're writing a book, you will be deep into one project; if you're performing a support function you may have the option to work on more than one.

(NOTE: In the words of Rush, "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."  If you do not comment to this post by Monday [10.8] night, your role-- and a large part of your obligation to this course for the rest of the semester-- will be decided by someone else.)


15 comments:

  1. I would want to be a support role for an author; editing or page layout is something I can help with :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, bold, i would like to Co-Write A Book, But Not By Myself... But Sounds Fun :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Spread the word tomorrow and recruit a team.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, that's the great thing about this whole experience... you can help each other out and work as a group to achieve a sought-out goal. I know there are people out there who are wanting to be a part of the fun, but don't know how. Just go to member blogs at the top of this page, find the link next to my name, and click on the "NaNoWriMo" tab to get started!

    Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could I would like to edit and give feedback to the author so that way the story can improve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I could I would like to edit and give feedback to the author so that way the story can improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phone malfunction sorry. I would like to be the editor of an authors work. I love reading and correcting peers work.

      Delete
  6. I would like to actually write a novel by myself. It would give me a chance to be more creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to help edit if I could (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to those of you who have commented so far! Feel free to use this week to organize into working groups. (You can use the study of "Self-Reliance" to see how your peers' work habits match up with yours.) Next Monday (10.15) after the test on "Self-Reliance" we will formalize the working groups and Tuesday we will break projects down by date to ensure success in November.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I am not the best writer, I would like to play a role in the editing process. Personally, I think I am good at catching gramatical errors, and finding different ways to improve the content of others peoples literature.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope it's not to late to comment and join in on this, but I would definitely like to get involved and help out! Im good at editing and organizing the page layout, so if there's still a chance I would like to be a part of this great opportunity!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know I'm not very good at writing but I'm good at drawing so if there's any graphic design needed let me know.

    ReplyDelete